WHAT MATTERS MOST


Tuesday, January 26, 2010

Not Ready

I just came back from the store and on my way home I passed by the Middle School close to our house. All of the kids were outside lined up...guessing it was fire drill practice. Middle School is a funny place, you have kids that look like they are 18 and kids that look like they are 9. Such an awkward time period for many. (I remember thinking I was so "old" to be in Jr. High and then High School even more so) It freaked me out a little with the thought that next year Kylee is going to be going to that school. She still thinks I am cool and I know it is a matter of time that she won't. I feel like I am throwing her to the wolves. I have always been excited about the girls growing up but....yeah.... Middle School is where it starts and leads them right into High School and this becomes scary for me because they can make some real "adult" decisions that will affect the rest of there life. It is the start of kids independence emerging (and we know that can be quite unpleasant for parents). They begin to try to figure out who they are, who they want to be, what they like, dislike, find their passions, figure out who their true friends are, wear makeup, they learn that cooties don't exist and in fact really like "those boys", and worse thinking they are in love with one, uhhhh heart-break.....ahhh need I go one. Innocent children thrown to the wolves. I guess ready or not the day will come. I just hope I have done my part as a parent in teaching her the things she will need to know to survive...above all that we love her always.

(Handling attitude problems will be my challenge and Kylee's is already budding at times)

1 comment:

The Jonas Family said...

I am glad I am not there yet! My oldest is just in Kindergarten this year! That is big enough for me!

Good Luck!