WHAT MATTERS MOST


Wednesday, January 6, 2010

Let the Sunshine In

Monday through Friday I get up at the crack of dawn well right now it is before dawn, to meet up with some other moms to workout. I normally in the past have not been a morning person, whatsoever! This has been a big commitment for me. The hardest part is just getting out of bed and then I am fine. I like getting it done first thing with no kids around. Verses before I would wait for the best time each day I felt I could set aside some time to workout. This usually left me at the end of the day with no workout and feeling guilty because I didn't find the time or if I did find time the workout is usually interrupted several times. It is nice to be the first on up. When I get home some of the girls are awake but still are in their rooms reading or playing. It is my job to come in to my still dark home and open all the shutters...to let the light in. I usually at that point start to make breakfast. The light, sound, and smell usually gets them down the stairs. I am guaranteed a cute early morning smile from Ryann and Addy. Alyssa always tries to sneak in to see how close she can get to me before I notice. Kylee is always excited to tell me about the newest thing she just read in her book. Don't get me wrong mornings are rarely cry free in a house full of girls but I do enjoy the aspect of being awake first thing in the morning with them...most of the time. It is amazing the impact as mothers that we have on our children. Their is a saying, "If Momma ain't happy...then no one is happy" Isn't that the truth. I also feel that creepy kids makes a creepy mom.

I once was reading in a book that asked the simple question, "When your children hear the word mother, what picture forms in their mind's eye?" Do they imagine a pleasant, encouraging woman with a warm expression and a cheerful disposition? A haggard lady shaking her head from side to side with a disappointed expression on her face? Or maybe an angry woman giving "the look"...you know, that fearful, pointed glare that could stop a raging bull in its tracks (I personally have this look down)? A mother's list is always never ending and you never have a enough time or energy to get everything done...something will always come up short. This always tends to leave me feeling I am not good enough because I didn't get to everything. Their is always a toy that needs to be picked up, laundry to do, books to be read, blah blah blah..... And then while you are trying your hardest at the everyday....ahhhh trials come along and you have to figure out a new way to manage life. Through all this that question keeps popping in my head...What do my girls picture when they hear the word mother? One thing I have learned is how important a smile can be. I have been able to recognize that a smile is less the result of a good feeling and more a gift that we give to others. When we give a simple smile, we lift the spirits of the people around us. We can help them get through their day. So this year I am going to, despite how I feel, smile more...especially at my children. Just as it is my job every morning to open up the shutters and let the sunshine in...I figure that maybe a few more smile throughout the day will do the same...besides smiling won't take more time out of my day and smiles are contagious...you will always smile back even if you aren't in the mood.


**Side note...my new favorite word of Addy's is Peavy = Heavy. Her new saying is "What the heck?" Thank you Ryann.

1 comment:

Bob and Amelia Fawson said...

I loved your insights of a smile...and of a "mother". I wonder what my kids picture when they hear the word "mother"...
Is it "I don't hear the washer!" ?
I hope it is not all bad!!!!