WHAT MATTERS MOST


Wednesday, October 28, 2009

"I HATE You Mom!!!!"

This morning we took the girls to get a Flu Shot and H1N1 vaccine. Normally we don't get flu shots but since this is suppose to be the "worse flu season ever" Elliott and I felt we wanted to do our part in protecting them as much as possible and felt the flu vaccine would be a good idea.

We went to a CVS Pharmacy and signed in. Ryann had no idea why we were there. It took about 45 minutes for our turn. Still Ryann had no idea. Then it was our turn and the door opened and we walked into the little room at the clinic in CVS. Ryann took one look at the nurse in the lab coat and IMMEDIATELY turned around to try and run away crying she didn't want any shots. I guess people in whites coat are the shot givers. This is why we didn't tell her from the beginning because she would freak and why I was glad to have Elliott there to help. We had Kylee go first then Addy. Addy didn't know what to think about the mist up her nose and did a little short cry with the shot...no drama. All while "Cryin' Ryann" was making a scene. I was holding her the whole time. One so she couldn't run out of the room and two I guess I was her comfort item. Then it was her turn.....I sat down and she started hitting and kicking while I was trying to get her arm out of her shirt. I wrapped my legs around hers and held her arms down. They she started yelling "I HATE You Mom!!" over and over....nice. Within 5 seconds of it being over she stopped crying and got 2 stickers and two treats from the store. I guess my job as a mom to protect my kids means sometimes they are going to hate me.

Tomorrow morning I am taking Alyssa since she had her Lil Pastry Chef class this morning. I will also get my shot tomorrow. I have never received a flu shot...I REALLY hate needles and am even nervous thinking about the idea...maybe Alyssa will go first...I better get a sticker too.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I was probably the worst child to bring to the doctors to get shots. I still get a little woosy when I see shots and I am going to be a doctor. Something I have to work on.

David and Julie said...

I am getting better with shots. What has helped me was to stand and witness all the drunks I arrested get blood drawn from their arms. Its surprising to me that the women take it better than the men.

The Jonas Family said...

Yes, sometimes your kids will hate when you need to protect them.

It is always a work up to get the shot, and then it is quickly over and all is well again. I get freaked out by needles as well, but I have gotten my flu shot already.

Taylor had her 4 year old well appt today and opted out on getting shots, that means next year she will have 4 when she turns 5, plus a flu shot is always around her birthday! She got the H1N1 mist as well today and she did not like it at first, but got over it quickly