WHAT MATTERS MOST


Friday, January 9, 2009

Common 2009

I can't believe it is 2009!! I am so glad 2008 is over and we made it through. It truly is amazing all you learn when thing are NOT going your way. Just when you think you can't take it anymore...you surprise yourself and you can. I was so naive to think that as long as I am doing A B and C then I will be free from trials in life. Without trials we can never grow and become better people. And what is the point of our earthly experience anyways. It is what you do with the trials and how you handle it that counts. You learn to be grateful for what you have and learn to live without. You begin to cherish what is most important. And it is funny because it is these things that matter most and it is what you get to take with you when your time is up on earth. And our Father in Heaven is the only one that knows when that will be. There is a plaque in our house that says, "It's not about waiting for the storm to pass but learning how to dance in the rain." Their has been so much negativity thrown our way these last two years and it ended with 2008!! We are DANCING baby! For the last few months we have really changed our attitude and outlook. Although our situation hasn't changed...we are happy. You almost feel guilty or wonder if it is okay to be happy even though so much may be wrong. I read in a magazine that negative thoughts are like hurricanes. The more you focus on them, the more they pickup speed and power. It is all about focusing on and living in the moment not your mistakes. SO this is my New Year's Resolution...to live in the moment. This may sound easy to some and even come naturally to others but not for me. I am always so caught up into my house being clean (I hate messes and kids are walking tornadoes), worrying about the little and big things, having everything "perfect" and always feeling I could be doing something more important than enjoying the moment or playing with the kids. What is more important then your kids? I know they grow fast and one day I will turn around and wonder where everyone went. I don't want to wonder...I WANT TO KNOW! So this year our blog is going to be mostly all about living in the moment (with only minimal complaining here and there like how BAD UT drivers can be!). Elliott and I also have been really focusing on the food we eat and making exercise apart of our daily life. It has been fun trying new recipes or changing old ones to make them more healthy. Just because someone is thin (what I like to call skinny-fat) doesn't mean they are healthy or that they don't have to exercise. We will no longer make excuses or be skinny-fat-people.
So here's to 2009!!

3 comments:

The Jonas Family said...

Thanks for your update and new outlook on life. I can always try and look on the brighter side, even if my child isn't.

Steph said...

You said it, Baby!
Steph

Steph said...

I have lost most of my weight because I have been exercising every day (6 days a week). I sometimes have to get up at 5 AM to get to the gym. It has not been easy but I have been dedicated to it. I still get the occasional person who says something like, " It must be nice to be so skinny and not have to exercise!". What?!?