WHAT MATTERS MOST


Tuesday, May 12, 2009

Saving BIG on Groceries!

I am so excited I just had my first experience going grocery shopping and using coupons! I know this may sound dumb but really it can be so exhilarating to save a bunch of money at the store. A month ago a friend of mine invited me to this class that taught you how to use coupons. It is so easy!! I get 5 Sunday newspaper coupons plus my in-laws. You get one Sunday paper per person in your family. They I take the coupon inserts date them and place them in a file. Then I go to a free website that will let you click on what ever store you want to shop at. It will pull up what is on sale that week and what items you can use coupons for to get the great deal! It will rate them for you so you know if it is a good deal and it will tell you what Sunday paper the coupon is found. You can highlight and print your list of the site. EASY AND GREAT! It gets you to buy ahead on items so you can wait to buy when they come on sale again later. It is a great way to build up your food storage. It is when you combine the coupon with the sale item that helps. It takes a couple of weeks until you can start using the coupons but so worth it and it does not take a lot of time! I took the older girls with me to Albertsons and we went coupon shopping! We got 19 boxes of cereal! They were in heaven. At the end of the trip they were so amazed by how much money we saved! When the checker ask me for my coupons...oh did I have some coupons...I handed her 42 coupons! I spent $98.77 and saved $168.83 plus earned two free movie tickets and got more money off for their gas reward program. We later that week filled up our tank at Albertsons with $1.30 off per gallon! It feels so great to save some money! This week I was on and saw with a coupon you could get Suave Shampoo for 31 cents! I personally don't use Suave but it is great for my girls and 31 cents...hello you can't even buy a pack of gum for that! The website I use is GrocerySmarts.com. As far as I know it only provides service for Utah and Nevada. You can also print coupons off from their site and it is not a long painful process. I felt like the lady on the Ikea commercial that sees how much money she saved and ran out telling her hubby to start the car because she got such a good deal.



Unloading the goods.

I even used a coupon to get the reusable bags. Now if only I can remember to bring them..

Alyssa was so amazed how long the receipt ended up.

6 comments:

David and Julie said...

Looks like $60 was spend on cereal. You can invite Paul to live with you and he'll survive for a month on that supply. Good job saving money! Julie went to a website when we lived in LA, and found stores that would double or triple coupon savings. She has a few receipts saved where she saved over $150 by spending under $100.

Anonymous said...

I tried to do it once. I used coupon sence, but I am just not patient enough to go online and look and not organized enough to file things away. Good for you! If you stick with it, my friend started going regular shopping for like 25 cents. She came home with like $200 worth of stuff too. Good luck and have fun!

Bob and Amelia Fawson said...

You make me feel old...I used to do things like that! ENJOY your youth!!!

The Jonas Family said...

Wow, food storage! You saved a lot! Now are you really going to go through it all (all of that cereal, hopefully it is the kind you like) without wasting it before the due date? I use to use coupons in Indiana. We got the newspaper, but we don't now.

Angela said...

My girls take after their Uncle Paul and LOVE cereal! We can never have enough. I will only buy stuff that we will actually eat.

Miles Family said...

Good job! It's fun to do coupons, but sometiems too much work for me.
We are so happy about Elliot's job! We'll keep checking to see where you end up, good luck!