WHAT MATTERS MOST


Tuesday, March 10, 2009

Thanks "ABC"

Last night my sister-in-law Nikki and I were watching Dancing with the Stars on ABC. Kylee, Alyssa, and Bryant were awake and in the room watching as well (or somewhat watching). During one of the commerical breaks they were advertsing for a new show and lets just say that the previews were not appropriate for children in my opinion. This is sad because I feel their is nothing wrong with watching Dancing with the Stars and they know that young children may also be watching this show...so why do they feel it is okay to advertise another show with inappropriate stuff. Let me explain what happened...in the commercial a woman approaches a man and flat out asks him for sex ( and I am thinking why don't I have this on mute!). Kylee then starts to giggle and says, "That lady just told that man lets just have sex." Then Bryant started jumping up and down saying the word "sex" over and over and over again. Kylee then starts laughing. THEN Alyssa who is uniformed at this point in time about the "birds and the bees" kept asking what is sex because the "pretending I didn't hear" the question didn't quite work out. I think around 8 is a good time to slowly start conversations about it but I really wasn't prepared at that moment and didn't want it to go down just like that. I gave her a really broad answer and luckily at that age it works but I know I need to take a more time with her to explain what it is. I just hate the media sometimes because it makes our kids grow up tooooo fast and hear things that children just don't need to hear. Just because you try your best to shield certain shows or music from them it still creeps into your home in some other form or they hear it at school from other kids. SO THANKS ABC for not caring that young children will be seeing your commercials.

3 comments:

Steph said...

I agree! We were watching an innocent show a few weeks ago and a preview for a sitcom came on. A lady said something to the effect of, " I wouldn't have sex with you if I was starving and you were the last weiner on the planet." Close enough. Lauren started to laugh because the audience was laughing. The whole thing took about 15 seconds, not enough time for me to change the channel. I would like to have known that was coming. I was furious.

The Jonas Family said...

That is very frustrating! My son is a big tv watcher, glued when it is on (mostly kids shows for him/ we dvrtivo our shows for later at night), but he recalls commercials later on and tells me about them, usually the ones with toys he wants.

Amy Collins said...

I know the feeling! Emery just turned 9 and I know we should discuss this kind of stuff with her, but I can't do it yet, she is my baby right?? Too bad the world doesn't help or agree, I have even thought about turning off the Dish TV through the summer, because some of the Disney shows drive me bananas...like Zach and Cody!