WHAT MATTERS MOST


Friday, October 16, 2009

Back 'em Up!

Something very sad happened the other day...our hard drive died on our computer. What makes this sad is that despite the fact my computer had two hard drives we never backed up our files...mainly or the most important being pictures. The only thing I treasure in life beyond my family and friends is pictures...everything else can be replaced. My way to have a second copy has been to never erase the pictures on the SD card. This wouldn't be a big deal except a year ago I left our camera on top of our car and forgot....and it is long gone. So from June 2005 shortly after Ryann was born until Sept of 2008 our pictures for the most part are gone. This is Ryann's first two years of life and Addy's first year. And of course all other holidays in between...ahh and their birthday parties.....ugh. I never got around to printing them off. At least I have all the pictures in the slide show on this blog that has a few pictures of Addy and Ryann as babies. Since 2008 when we got our new camera (that I have recently dropped on the tile..I know...nice one) I have all the pictures that were ever taken on that camera. This is another good reason to blog... too bad I didn't do it sooner. Thankfully, Elliott had the hard drive sent out to some CSI guys to try and retrieve the picture files...like I said pictures are priceless and ohh it is going to cost me. (I am thinking the FBI can retrieve all sorts of stuff from bad perverted peoples' computers why is it not possible to get files from our computer) So I am crossing my fingers that they can find them. I have learned my lesson and I hope you learn from mine. BACK'EM UP!!!!!!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

So Sad! Two of my classmates had their computers stolen on the same night in the library here at my school. They didn't back up their files and all of their medical school notes are gone. Oops!! May this be a lesson. I triple back up the files I can't live without. Two hard drives inside my computer and one external hard drive, in case there is a fire, I can grab the external hard drive and am good to go. Hope the pictures get recovered.

Steph said...

I am so sorry!
Let's hope they don't find your perverted files. He he he. Just joking.
I will back mine up ASAP!

The Torres Family said...

We had the same thing happen due to a terrible virus, but we had a friend here who is amazing with computers and he was able to get most of our pictures back and other files. I'm hoping you can, too! I'll never forget that sinking feeling I had that day when I thought I lost those pictures. We also now back up everything on a hard drive...even though I forget a lot to do it. Thank you for reminding me. Sending lots of well wishes on a good outcome!

The Jonas Family said...

I too hope your pictures can be retrieved from your computer. We recently backed our pictures and files on an external hard drive. You never know when something like this will happen. Good luck!